Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

Being the Example

One of the most important parts of being a teacher is being the example.  There are some teachers out there who would like to believe that they end their job at 3, and that's it.  I cannot stand when teachers think like that.

What you do, when you're a teacher, outside of work reflects back to the students whether you want it to or not.  All it take is one moment of stupidity and indiscretion and you could not only ruin your career, but the life of a child.

I know it's taking it to the extreme, but just for an example....


I don't have any tattoos.  I have nothing against them, it's just a personal choice because I have commitment issues when it comes to getting inked.  As a teacher, if I were to get a tattoo I would make the extra effort to make sure it was somewhere that a student would never see it; even by accident.  My reasoning is simple.  I don't want a student to go home and tell their parents they want a tattoo because their teacher has one.

Students look up to us.  Even when they are driving us crazy, it's because they love us and want us to love them.  Just like a little brother or sister, they will end up mimicking the teachers they most admire.

This being said, I have worked very hard throughout my whole teaching career to be a person that I want my students to be.  I show them respect and manners, and I expect nothing less in return.  I show them the importance of caring for others, and I expect nothing less in return.  I show them that school is important and should be taken seriously; and I expect nothing less in return.

All of this came to mind today because a few days ago I graduated with my Master's degree.  It is something I'm quite proud of; especially because I'm still young in comparison to most of my peers.  I want to see my students continue on to college and then hopefully graduate school.  I want to know that my students saw me better myself, and they decided to do the same.

It is important to be the example.  Be the example that you want your students to follow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! It's important to me to hear your feedback.